Categories
Community Life

FriendDA

WHEREAS I possess a bright idea that I am choosing to disclose to you, The Advisor, with the mutual understanding that you are my friend and that you will not screw me.

Termination of this FriendDA can be executed by either party, but don’t be a douche.”

FriendDA

Hat tip to my colleague Chris Carfi for sharing something that came with the FriendDA attached. First I’ve heard of it. And I love it.

Categories
Community Life

alt.zines

“Younger zinesters are more creative than ever – now, zines are artisanal objects, and design, aesthetics, and the overall experience of the object matter just as much as the text. Zine makers still gather at festivals and discuss their hobby online, on reddit, Facebook, and elsewhere.”

Alt.zines and Memories of a Media Transition (History of the Web)
Categories
Community Tech

Digital literacy across generations

” Technology is changing faster each year. Digital literacy can vary between ages but there are lots of ways different generations can work together and empower each as digital citizens.”

Empowering Generations of Digital Natives (WordPress.org)

Last week was Digital Citizenship Week and I had absolutely no idea that this was even a thing. (Oops.)

There were a few good posts published last week from Yvette Sonneveld, the marketing team rep for Make WordPress. They cover an intersection of WordPress and digital citizenship and are worth skimming, at the very least:

We’re putting some of this advice into practice through our local WP Durham meetups. I also touched on some of it in my talk at WordCamp Niagara last week.

These community events — meetups, WordCamps, unconferences (sup PodCamp Toronto?) — are all facets of digital citizenship. They take the online offline, offering in-person experiences to complement what we do on the web.

Categories
Business Community

Bookstagramming

“All this bookstagramming has led to a thriving space for book lovers on social media, and that’s been a good thing for independent bookstores too — because it plays to their key strength: creating community.”

Instagram is helping save the indie bookstore (Vox)
Categories
Community Tech

WordPress for All – My WordCamp Rochester 2019 keynote

I had the privilege of keynoting WordCamp Rochester this weekend. My talk, WordPress for All, was a reminder of how the web — and WordPress — came to be.

Here’s the companion essay/post to my talk.

Categories
Business Community

Reach Teach Sell for community growth

Earlier this year I published a blog post about Reach Teach Sell, my practical marketing framework. I was mainly thinking about content at the time, but as of late, I’m thinking about community a whole lot more.

What does “community” mean, anyway?

Here’s how I define it:

• A community is a network of people with something in common
  • A community group is a structured organization, consisting of members from the community

When we talk about building a community, in the context of a business, we’re often talking about organizing a community group.

Communities are organic. They don’t get built. They grow.

That said, I’ll often use the word “community” when referring to a “community group” — e.g. “join the community”, “stories from the community”, “welcome to the community”, etc…

Categories
Community

Build your community with people

You need to build your community with people, not for or at them. That’s the secret to making sure community building efforts catch on, instead of fizzling out as a failed initiative.

From Instant Pot to Instagram (First Round Review)

Likewise, you need to relinquish some control for the community to thrive.

Categories
Community Tech

WordPress meetup organizer survey for WordCamp US 2019

I have the pleasure and privilege to join April Wier, Victor Ramirez, and Meagan Hanes — my fellow Canadian community wrangler! — in hosting the Grow Your Meetup workshop at WordCamp US 2019.

To prep for the workshop, we’re looking for WordPress meetup organizers to share their experiences with us in a quick survey. Gist:

To prepare for the workshop, we’re looking for insights and advice from other WordPress meetup organizers. What’s worked for you? What hasn’t worked for you? We’ll roll your contributions into our workshop materials.

Note: You don’t need to be attending the workshop to submit a response!

Submissions are anonymous, but you’re welcome to identify yourself for kudos (!), follow-up questions, or to stay in the loop about the workshop.

Are you a meetup organizer? Take the survey!

Know someone else who organizes a meetup? Send them the survey!

The more we hear from other organizers, the better. Meetups can vary quite a bit from one community to the next.

Categories
Business Community Tech

Crowdfunding = trust

Part of a much longer thread worth reading.

h/t Patrick Tanguay (Sentiers Media) for the referral in his newsletter.

Categories
Community Tech

Shoutout: The DEV community

Where programmers share ideas and help each other grow. It is an online community for sharing and discovering great ideas, having debates, and making friends. Anyone can share articles, questions, discussions, etc. as long as they have the rights to the words they are sharing. Cross-posting from your own blog is welcome.

About DEV

Came across this programmer community the other day. VERY cool.

Reminds me of Glitch. Similar aesthetic.