The draw of taking part in something bigger

“We all know audio is seeing a resurgence in news media, with publishers experimenting with podcasts and daily briefings on smart speakers. The New York Times is taking it even further, with their “participatory podcasts“, aka conference calls. […]

These calls have been successful in drawing in usually several hundred subscribers, with a broad mix of demographics — including international subscribers. The Times could easily just release these conversations as podcasts but that would miss out on the community-building aspect. […]

By being live, and taking listener questions, these calls foster a sense among subscribers that they are part of something bigger than themselves. This is one of the reasons more and more media organisations have been trialing membership programs; it helps to increase retention as well.”

Unexpected ways publishers engage readers (Twipe)

An infinity of subcultures coming together, online to offline

An infinity of subcultures outside the mainstream now blossoms on the Internet – vegans, body modifiers, CrossFitters, Wiccans, DIYers, Pinners, and support groups of all forms. Millions of people are finding their true peers in the cloud, a remedy for the isolation imposed by the anonymous apartment complex or the remote rural location.

“This is why location is becoming so much less important: technology is enabling us to access everything we need from our mobile phone, to find our true communities in the cloud, and to easily travel to assemble these communities in person. Taken together, we are rapidly approaching a future characterized by a totally new phenomenon, the reverse diaspora: one that starts out internationally distributed, finds each other online, and ends up physically concentrated.

Software Is Reorganizing the World (WIRED)

This WIRED article is from 2013, envisioning a future that started to take shape over the last decade. Think techies congregating in Silicon Valley to work on the next big startup, or YouTubers congregating in LA, forming creator communes, sharing real estate and resources while collaborating on content.

But as the cost of living spirals out of control in metropolitan areas, our attention turns back to the upsides of distributed networks, punctuated by in-person gatherings like conventions and conferences.

Twitchcon brings streamers together. Vidcon brings YouTubers together. Dreamforce brings Salesforce users together. CMX brings community managers together. WordCamps bring WordPress users together.

…you get the idea.

My point is: we’re finding each other through social media and open networks, we’re sliding into DMs and email to build 1:1 relationships, and then we show up at in-person events to build the face-to-face rapport.

Digital campfires

“It is neither simple nor straightforward to reach audiences gathered around digital campfires. But as traditional social platforms grow, they become more crowded, and it becomes more difficult and expensive to reach people there anyway. In light of this, digital campfires become a much more attractive alternative — one that requires more groundwork and more careful tending, but one that could potentially have big payoffs for brands in terms of loyalty, retention, and long-term love.

The Era of Antisocial Social Media (Harvard Business Review)

Community Marketing is less “build something” and more “grow something”. Lots of tending and care over a longer period of time, with cyclical phases. It’s like working in agriculture versus working in manufacturing.

Decouple success from scale

To succeed, local media have to abandon scale and refocus on community. Advertising remains part of the equation, but reader revenue, donations, foundation funding — yard sales if necessary — are all in the mix.”

Audience scales, community does not. (Local News Lab)

You can thrive by decoupling success from scale. Related:

“As the Passion Economy grows, more people are monetizing what they love. The global adoption of social platforms like Facebook and YouTube, the mainstreaming of the influencer model, and the rise of new creator tools has shifted the threshold for success. I believe that creators need to amass only 100 True Fans—not 1,000—paying them $1,000 a year, not $100. Today, creators can effectively make more money off fewer fans.”

1,000 True Fans? Try 100 (Li Jin via a16z)

Micro-sized communities

” Micro-sized communities are the key for modern businesses as smaller channels allow them to connect with highly engaged audiences. Influencers provide one way to access organic, tight-knit communities, but marketers are now moving beyond the digital world and building these communities in the real world.”

How brands can build micro-communities (AdAge)

Lead a community of purpose that aligns with your brand’s mission. Bring people together around in-person shared experiences. Share knowledge while acting as a catalyst for new connections. Keep the energy going through persistent community activities and back-channels.

Nothing can replace in-person community

Perhaps one of the most detrimental consequences of digital technology is the illusion of connection. We think that if we can tweet, post, text, e-mail, or even call someone, we’re good. After all, digital relationships save us the time and coordination of meeting in person, which in turn allows us to be überproductive—or so we tell ourselves. But here’s the thing: nothing can replace in-person community, and our failed attempts to do so come at a grave cost.

It’s Okay to Be Good and Not Great (Outside)

I owe a lot to the web. It opened the door to opportunities I never would’ve had otherwise.

As a kid growing up in central Ontario, I was able to make new friends around the world and pour my time into hobbies that eventually led to a fulfilling life and career.

But none of that would’ve happened if I didn’t go from URL to IRL.

It’s the difference between RSVP’ing and showing up. Intent doesn’t equal action.

I’m an introvert by default. In my early 20’s I was notorious for flaking on parties. Even now, a decade after my first meetup, I still feel an urge to bail before an event.

Despite that, I’ll still show up, because I know the benefit is worth the discomfort.

In-person experiences are the catalyst for strong relationships. Everything we do otherwise is a watered-down alternative. Video puts a face to the name. In-person experiences put the whole being of a person to the name.

So, if you really want to connect with your community, bring them together offline.

Community is a series of small choices and everyday actions

This was community. And what I would come to learn, slowly, is that community is about a series of small choices and everyday actions: how to spend a Saturday, what to do when a neighbor falls ill, how to make time when there is none. Knowing others and being known; investing in somewhere instead of trying to be everywhere. Communities are built, like Legos, one brick at a time. There’s no hack.

The only metric of success that really matters (Quartz)

I’d argue that communities aren’t built — they’re grown. Like a garden, a community requires care and attention and, over time, they’ll bear fruit. And as with a garden, there are things you can do to improve your chances of success.

You’ll have different plants in your garden, depending on what type of garden you want to grow. The better you understand the needs of your plants, the better a job you can do in caring for them. Some plants need more sunlight than others, or more water, or different soil.

And so it goes with a community. Knowing why you’re bringing people together in the first place will help you plan accordingly. Understanding the needs of your members means you’ll do a better job of solving those needs and giving them a good reason to stick around.

Where I absolutely align with this piece is in the takeaway, that it’s a series of small decisions and actions that make a community take off. The consistency, the routine, the showing up and contributing, participating, over and over again.

All of this compounds over time, as more people join, as more people discover and share and invite others to do the same. It’s a flywheel: Show up. Participate. Document. Share. Repeat.

Creating common knowledge

Creating common knowledge creates a network effect. All companies in Silicon Valley want to build network effects, but few have followed Barton’s path despite its effectiveness. The more people use and trust Glassdoor, the more companies must take it seriously. And as users see more people contributing to Glassdoor, they can be more confident they’ll stay anonymous when they add their review. There are virtuous loops in common knowledge.”

Making Uncommon Knowledge Common (kwokchain)

My hobby from high school through college was to work on gaming fansites and forums.

In those early days (mid 2000’s) it was up to us, the devoted webmaster crowd, to compile information into comprehensive guides and resources for other gamers.

Our guides — usually written by one or two people — drove a fair chunk of search traffic and links. But the vast, vast majority of our traffic came from the forums.

Our forums were a well of common knowledge, deep discussion threads probing all angles of the games we covered.

That arrangement was good for a while. Our sites offered the coherent walkthroughs and references; the forums offered everything else.

Then “Web 2.0” happened.

Read moreCreating common knowledge

Moderation creates communities

“I hope people can express themselves. I hope they can share their ideas, share their thoughts. But we’re not a platform for free speech. We are not upholding the First Amendment. That’s the government’s job. We’re a community. And communities have standards for how you have to behave inside that community. And so we think that it’s not anything goes.

Twitch CEO Emmett Shear on how moderation creates communities (The Verge)

Like Emmet Shear, the CEO of Twitch, I’m a firm supporter of community moderation. As community leaders, we’re responsible in setting expectations early on with clear guidelines. That includes a Code of Conduct for behaviour; a Governance policy for how decisions get made as a team; and defined escalation paths for dealing with problematic members.

I’ve gotten some heat in the past for having this position, accusations of censorship and impeding free speech (or freedom of expression, here in Canada). But those are enshrined in our rights as citizens; not in our rights as members of a community group.

That said, I also believe that community guidelines should be ever-evolving. New incidents may pop up that you hadn’t expected. It’s happened to me more than a few times. So, if they’re not covered in your guidelines, update the guidelines to address those issues in the future.

The microcosmic subcultures of online communities

There’s a thread that makes its way through these communities. They often start with a simple idea and a domain name. But as that idea begins to resonate out with a larger and larger group of users, the sands shift, and the community transforms the site from the inside in a sort of symbiotic relationship with the site’s owners.”

A Sense of Community: From Newgrounds to MLKSHK (History Of The Web)

Niche online communities are how I found my way around the web. The same goes for a lot of us older Millennial types.

Whether it was NeoPets or MySpace or Newgrounds — as in the case of this piece from The History Of The Web — these sites were places where we could find other kids who shared our interests.

It’s not so different for the next generation. My friends and I played Warcraft. Now my nephew plays Fortnite. We used AIM and MSN Messenger. Now the kids use Instagram, Discord, and TikTok.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

That’s what makes Facebook Groups and Instagram hashtags and Reddit subreddits so potent. They’re a central place — a point of discovery — for people to find others like themselves.

If you intend to put Community Marketing to work for your business, it starts here, by identifying these existing places where the people you want to reach are already coming together.

They’re not places for you to promote or distribute your content. They’re places for you to show up, lurk, listen, and participate.

The more embedded you are within a community, as a contributing member and not as a business with something to sell, the more likely you are to find success.